Sunday, August 9, 2015

Ringing in the New Year...in August

For teachers, putting up a new calendar in January isn't the start of a new year. Yes, we recognize its significance, but the new year starts in August when we pull out a new lesson plan book and look over our new class rosters. Our life is measured out in school years and time passes in semesters or quarters.
Setting up our classroom for the new year!
Tomorrow is the official start of my new year - my 3rd year in Bolivia and my 6th year of living and teaching overseas (When did that happen???). Every year has its own stories. For my first two years in Bolivia, my stories were about how God sustains. Year 1: I crash-landed in the country 2 weeks after school started and experienced how God sustained me when I could barely hold myself together. It was a year of renewal and restoration. Year 2 saw God sustaining me for bigger purposes: ministering to others. Emotionally, socially and spiritually, I was in a place where I could bless others when before all I could do was let others to support me. But God showed me that He had bigger plans for me than merely surviving; if I was to thrive, it was because He enabled me to bless and  support those around me.

So what will be my story for Year 3 at Highlands? I'm not sure yet, but if my story arc in Bolivia so far is any indication, then God has exciting things planned. I think our theme verse for the year might give some ideas:

And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. 2 For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, 4 and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God. - 1st Corinthians 2:1-2
I think God's spirit and power will show up in big ways on our campus. When I compound this expectation with the NICS network-wide theme verse, I  get even more excited:
I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the truth. - 3rd John 1:4
When God's power and Spirit are at work, people come to truth and joy results. That is what I'm praying for this year. Join me in praying that this new school year would be one when our theme verses become real in ways that our students, families and staff have never experienced before.

Love y la paz,
Sam 

Our school at dusk features a stunning view of the mountain Illimani
P.S. Speaking of crash-landing in Bolivia, our new principal and his family were finally granted their visas and landed in La Paz this morning! We are tremendously grateful to have them, but we recognize that they will need extra helpings of grace (and possibly oxygen) as they adjust to what God has for them at 11,000ft. Please pray that Todd, Rebekah and their two daughters would be blessed as they transition into life at Highlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment