Monday, April 6, 2015

Jungle-bound

Bags are packed with an extra sleeping bag (black pouch in front)
and lots of other "extras" if the kids forget
I've been wanting to write about the theme of "rest and restoration" for a while. It would have been perfect timing: Spring Break as a "restful time" is drawing to a close and Easter Sunday/Resurrection Sunday celebrates the restored relationship we have with God through Christ's death, resurrection and intercession. I also did a chapel on Matthew 11:28-30 to talk about Jesus lifting our burdens and giving us rest. Whatever you are doing, I hope you have ample rest.

But instead, I'm skimping out on sleep (ironic, I know) as I finish packing for the high school mission trip. Tomorrow, 35 students and 10 adults will fly to Rurrenabaque, walk to the Beni River, boat up it, and camp in some rural communities in the jungles of the Beni region to serve the people there. We could be harvesting local crops, building houses for widows, clearing land, visiting the elderly, running sports camps, or doing a host of other things that the communities need from us during our three full days in the jungle. Some of these communities have Christians living in them; others do not. Most of them do not speak Spanish, and clearly not English.
See Rurrenabaque and Beni above La Paz.
Image from:http://www.turismoboliviaperu.com/htmsboing/datgrales.htm

While I look back on last year's mission trip with the fondest memories of ministry, bonding, adventure and laughter, I am preparing my heart and mind for this trip to be a totally different experience. I honestly don't really know what to expect besides insects, humidity, no showers, limited electricity and language barriers. However, I am still expectant about this trip. I may not know what is happening, but snapshots of my life through this blog are enough to remind me that that's fairly typical. Instead, I'm resting in the knowledge that this trip belongs to God and that we are to accomplish His purposes.

So please join me in praying for this trip. Pray for:
  • Safety. We're taking 35 students on planes and boats to the jungle. I feel that is self-explanatory.
  • Spiritual awakening in some of our students who don't acknowledge Christ as their Savior. These trips tend to be times of tenderness in the hearts of our students. For those who are Christians, may this be a refreshing and strengthening time.
  • Student relationships. There's been a lot of drama going down with our students lately. Pray that our students would have grace with each other as they are stretched far beyond their comfort zones for the next few days. Also, may the adults exercise wisdom in facilitating these interactions.
  • Service to the community. More than anything, we want this trip to be a blessing to those whom we are serving. This is difficult when we do not speak the local language, but we want to be winsome, humble and helpful to these people. 

Today at church one of my friends handed out prayer cards. She held them up with the text facing away and challenged us to pick one to guide us through our week. I got one that featured Philippians 4:13: "I can do all things in Christ who gives me strength." I was taught to read "do" as "endure," since Paul is talking about his time in prison and learning the secret to being content in times of trial and need as well as having plenty. The secret is Christ.

The message at the bottom of the card reads: Hoy pidele a Dios te ayude en esa área en la que eres débil. / Today ask God to help you in this area where you are weak.  I have a long list of areas where I anticipate being weak this week, so this is a timely reminder of what I need to be doing during my weaknesses, not just over the next few days, but everyday.

So as I consider my time on the mission trip, I want Christ to be my not-so-secret method of  enduring the heat, the humidity, the bug bites, the complaints, the frustrations. I want Him to be my reason to rejoice in heartfelt conversations, good work, shared smiles and rewarding rest. I am excited to spend time in a part of Bolivia that is new to me, embrace discomfort with good humor, learn more about my students outside the classroom, open myself to interacting with people in remote communities, serve in ways that are meaningful and worship God in Beni.

What areas of weakness do you need to ask for God's strength in? Check out Philippians 4 for some other reminders of why we don't have to be anxious in God. As always, feel free to post in the comments or shoot me an email if you want me to pray for something!

Love y la paz,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment